Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Study Abroad


Students who need financial aid for a study abroad program must submit a FAFSA and complete all the following steps:

  • Contact Financial Aid advisor if you are planning to study abroad or if you have any questions.
  • For students wish to request financial aid for Approved Study Abroad or Exchange program, please submit Study Abroad Agreement Form along with your UIC Study Abroad program Cost Sheet.
  • For students wish to request financial aid for Approved Faculty Directed Program, please submit Budget Adjustment Form-Faculty Directed program along with your Faculty Directed Program Cost Sheet.
  • You can find your program cost sheet on the UIC Study Abroad Office website. Search for your program here and then go to the “Finances” tab. Click the “print” icon on the cost sheet to save a copy as a PDF or print it out. For assistance, please contact your UIC Study Abroad Office advisor or

Grants and scholarships are reduced if a student registers for less than 12 hours (less than 15 for IL Map Grant recipients) while studying abroad.

Financial Aid Package

After submitting required documentation, students will receive an email indicating a revised electronic financial aid notification is ready to view.

Study abroad funds will be similar to on-campus awards for students registered full-time. Study abroad students are not eligible for more gift assistance.

Increases in financial aid for study abroad costs will require additional loans such as a Federal Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, PLUS and/or Alternative loans.


Most financial aid funds are credited directly to student accounts shortly before the first day of classes at UIC.
UIC charges are deducted from financial aid proceeds and the remaining funds are refunded via direct deposit. The student is responsible to pay the abroad program directly once the student receives his or her refund.

After the Term

Study abroad transcripts must show: (1) student earned the amount of hours they received aid for during the term abroad towards graduation (2) student received grades of at least a D or above. Students who do not meet requirements may be responsible for repaying funds to UIC.