Approximately 25% of FAFSAs are selected for verification. UIC’s Verification Process is as follows:
- SFAS emails a verification worksheet link to selected students, which must be submitted with documentation.
- Students submit 2020 tax information using the IRS Data Retrieval on the 2022-2023 FAFSA OR by providing a signed copy of the IRS 1040 form with schedules 1, 2, and 3 (if applicable).
- Parents, or Independent Students and their spouses, who do not file 2020 federal tax return submit any 2020 W-2 forms and a Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS.
- SFAS notifies students by email when verification is complete, which generally takes 2-3 weeks.
SAMPLE FORMS Heading link
Other Required Documentation Heading link
Sometimes the federal processor flags a student’s FAFSA and requires additional documentation to verify data. Students may be required to submit documentation regarding:
- Selective Service
- Loan Default
- Loan Discharge
- Veteran Status
- Social Security Number/Name/Date of Birth Discrepancies
- Federal Aid Overpayments
If any of this additional documentation is required, SFAS will send a request via email.