OVCSA Home UIC Home default

Financial Aid

Study Abroad

If you plan to study abroad and want to be considered for federal or state financial assistance you will need to complete the appropriate year FAFSA.


If you are a degree seeking student and will be studying abroad, you may be eligible for financial aid. To receive aid, you must complete all the following steps:

  • You must meet with your study abroad coordinator.
  • Your study abroad coordinator must submit a budget for your term abroad to the OSFA.
  • You must make an appointment with Hua Kao in the OSFA.
  • If your study abroad program is coordinated through UIC's Study Abroad Office or the Office of International Affairs:

Please note that your grants and scholarships can be affected if you register for less than 12 hours (less than 15 for IL Map Grant recipients). Please speak with your study abroad program coordinator regarding registration.

Financial Aid Package

After all required documentation is submitted and reviewed by the OSFA, you will receive an email indicating a Revised Electronic Award Letter is ready to view.

If you are registered for at least 12 hours, your aid will likely be similar to what it would be if you were studying on campus. Studying abroad does not make a student eligible for more gift assistance. Some students who would not otherwise be eligible for a need based loan may become eligible for a Federal Direct Subsidized loan as a result of increased costs of studying abroad.

Any increase in financial aid to help meet the additional costs of studying abroad will usually require additional loan money such as a Federal Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, PLUS and/or Alternative loans. Federal loan limits do apply. See the Loans page for information about loans.


Most of your financial aid funds will be credited directly to your University student account shortly before the first day of classes on UIC's campus for the corresponding semester. As aid is credited, tuition, fees and any study abroad program fees charged to your account will be deducted from your financial aid proceeds. Any remaining funds will be refunded via direct deposit by University Student Financial Services & Cashier Operations. See USFSCO's information on the refund process here.

After the Term

After being processed by the appropriate office, your study abroad transcripts must show the following two things: (1) you earned the amount of hours you received aid for during the study abroad term and (2) you received grades of at least a D or above. If not, the financial aid you received could be affected. You may be billed and may be responsible for repaying those funds to UIC.


[ Top ]

Copyright © 2008 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois