OVCSA Home UIC Home default

Financial Aid

Award Terms and Conditions

The financial aid identified on your Award Letter is offered to you with the following conditions:

  • You must be enrolled as a degree-seeking student.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours undergraduates/professionals and 5 hours for the Graduate College and School of Public Health) to be eligible for Federal Direct Loan(s).
  • You must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours per semester) to receive most types of financial aid. If you enroll less than full-time, your financial aid awards will be reduced or cancelled.
  • The State of Illinois MAP Grant will be reduced if you are registered for fewer than 15 credit hours in a semester. Also, if you reduce your course load by withdrawing prior to the tenth day of class, your State of Illinois MAP Grant will be reduced, requiring repayment.
  • By completing a FAFSA you agree to share your information with the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) to be considered for the State of Illinois (IL) Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. If you are determined to meet the eligibility criteria for the MAP grant, an award will be included on your Award Letter. This award may be an estimate made by the financial aid office and, if so, is identified as a "State of IL MAP Grant (Est)." MAP grants are limited based on the number of applicants and funding levels appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly. Please be aware that in light of state funding constraints, reductions to estimated or actual MAP grants are possible.
  • Eligibility for a MAP grant is tracked by the equivalent number of semester credit hours of MAP benefits paid on your behalf. This is called MAP Paid Credit Hours. Payment for each term is made according to the equivalent number of credit hours eligible for MAP payment, with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 15 MAP Paid Credit Hours.
  • There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid while you are classified by your school as a freshman and sophomore. This limit is the equivalent of 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours. If this maximum is reached, you must attain junior status for your MAP grant eligibility to resume. The maximum number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be received is capped at 135.
  • If a State of IL MAP Grant is not included in your Award Letter, you are not eligible for the grant at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
  • You must notify the Office of Student Financial Aid of the sources and amounts of any financial assistance that you receive from all other sources, including but not limited to scholarships, loans, assistantships, fellowships and educational benefits that do not appear on your Financial Aid Award Letter. This information should be reported on the "Request Changes" section of your electronic Award Letter.
  • The Office of Student Financial Aid reserves the right to adjust or cancel any award at any time because of the notification of awards not previously included on your Award Letter, changes in a student's financial status, academic status or due to an awarding error. Changes reflected in your awards will result in an e-mail to the student which serves as notification of the change.
  • You will be responsible for repaying any funds you receive that exceed your financial need, or if for any reason, you become ineligible for the financial aid.
  • If you drop classes, withdraw or make other academic changes, your financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required.
  • If you stop attending classes without officially withdrawing, your financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required.
  • Awards are contingent upon continued funding from federal, state and institutional sources. Your awards are subject to change and may be rescinded or reduced if funding is insufficient or discontinued by legislative actions.
  • If requested, you must provide documents to verify the accuracy of information reported on the FAFSA before financial aid funds can be awarded or disbursed.
  • If after filing your FAFSA, you are convicted of possessing or selling drugs, you must notify the Office of Student Financial Aid immediately.
  • You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Two or more tuition and/or fee restricted awards may be combined, but the total cannot exceed your assessed tuition and/or fees.
  • You must work in a Federal Work-Study (FWS) position to earn the FWS amount shown on your Award Letter. FWS funds are not disbursed into your University Billing Account. You receive a pay check, just as in any other form of employment.
  • You will not be eligible for aid offered for any term during which you hold a cooperative education position or a paid internship.
  • If you are working toward a second bachelor's degree, you are only eligible for Federal Direct Loan(s).
  • If you have a bachelor's degree and/or are a graduate/professional student you are not eligible for aid restricted to undergraduates such as, but not limited to, Federal Pell Grant, ISAC MAP Grant, Student to Student Grant, Federal SEOG, UIC Access to Excellence Grant, UIC Gateway Grant, UIC Housing Award and OSFA Tuition Award.
  • You will receive financial aid in two installments (one half is disbursed for fall semester; the second half for spring semester), unless otherwise noted. Disbursements are made directly to your student bill.
  • If you are participating in a Study Abroad program, it is highly encouraged that you meet with the Office of Student Financial Aid Study Abroad liaison.

[ Top ]

Copyright © 2008 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois